Many people don’t know where to start when it comes to living a healthier life. It seems like a daunting task to fundamentally overhaul your way of life to implement strategies you’ve found online or heard from friends. If that’s you, you have come to the right place!
This is the first guide you should read to attain better health. It is not complex, and the steps are quite simple implement. No pressure at all! We want you to live a healthier life by making small, yet long-lasting changes that add up to benefit you for a life-time.
The 10 steps to better health are:
- Drink more water: No brainer, but we still oftentimes forget. Try to drink 8 x 8-ounce glass worth of water. A trick is to drink water first thing when you wake up and whenever you drink your coffee/tea/soda.
- Eat more vegetables: Find a way to love and incorporate vegetables everyday. Maybe you prefer cooked or sautéed veggie? Veggie with a dressing? Do whatever it takes to love and eat veggie everyday, every meal.
- Whole grains over white grains: Shopping for bread or rice? Get the whole grain version! Asked by a sandwich shop on whether you want whole grain bread or white bread? Say whole grain!
- Experiment with protein: Fish, tofu, chicken, chickpeas, shrimp, beef? Bring it on! You have a ton of choice for protein and you should take advantage and cycle through one or more types of protein every day.
- Eat fewer processed foods: Craving a dessert? Try fruits. Craving something salty? Try nuts or seaweed snacks. Freshly made, unprocessed natural foods are always better than processed foods.
- Make a habit of nurturing your body: Take a walk or stretch when you take a work or study break. Get yourself an electronic massager or ask a friend to massage those tense shoulders. It’s super important to know when your body is sending signals that it’s tired. You should respond and give your body the rest it deserves.
- Have healthy relationships: Hang out with people whom you love and who love you back. Make no toxicity a rule for all relationships. We humans are social creatures, so relationships largely impact our moods. If we want to feel emotionally healthy, good relationships are key.
- Regular physical activity: Whether it’s a 5 minute stretch or a 1-hour workout routine, try to move a bit each day. The hard part is the actual moving– once you start you won’t feel like it’s as hard. Incentivize yourself to start, whether it’s by exercising at a set time, or following a video that encourages you to move. You just gotta do it.
- Find work you love: Work is a necessity to enable us to have enough finances to survive. It also defines a large portion of our time once we are out of school. This is why we want to make sure we are in a career that we like or can find things about it that we like. If you don’t like your work, that’s okay. Think about what type of work you love, make a plan to get there, execute that plan, and eventually you’ll get there.
- Develop a de-stress practice: What de-stresses you the most when you are worked up? Some people say meditation, others say exercise or reading. Adopt and regularly practice a system that helps you de-stress whenever you encounter a difficult situation. This is very important in helping you get through some of the toughest moments of life.
So what’s next?
Feel free to print these 10 steps out and place it in a place that you can see easily. Review the steps every week or month, as you please, and see if you are seeing changes in your life. Wishing you all the best on your wellness journey. Cheers!